With the summer sunshine ramping up, I thought I would share a homemade sunblock recipe. Since most store-bought sunscreens (regular kinds & organic kinds) contain unpleasant ingredients, the research and debate on store-bought vs. homemade can be overwhelming!
Conventional sunscreens are packed full of toxins or endocrine disrupting chemicals that can promote skin cancer growth and free radical production in the body. Sound appealing, right? The sunscreen alters your skin to make it sun-resistant. Even when the “waterproof” creams rinse off, while your swimming or sweating, you’re still protected from the sun because of the chemicals absorbed in your skin. For more safety information on the sunscreen you are currently using, click HERE.
On the other hand, most homemade sunblock contains Zinc Oxide, which also can be controversial. From what I am learning, Zinc Oxide must be a certain size for it not to absorb into the skin and enter into the bloodstream. You don’t want Zinc Oxide to enter your bloodstream or get into your lungs because that too, can be bad for you. Zinc Oxide is a great sunBLOCKER if used properly. Sunblock also has a lower SPF so you’ll need to reapply more often and sometimes can leave your skin white or lighter. Can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you’re applying it too. For small (BUSY) children, it’s nice to see where you are putting it!
I will let you do your research here and let you decide what it best for your family and I will get you TWO different recipes, one that contains Zinc Oxide, one that does not.
Some ingredients with natural SPF:
- Coconut Oil SPF: 4-6
- Almond Oil SPF: ~5
- Zinc Oxide SPF: 2-20 depending on much you add into your mix
- Red Raspberry Seed Oil SPF: 35-40
- Shea Butter SPF: 4-6
- 2 oz Coconut Oil (contains natural SPF properties)
- 2 oz Shea Butter (naturally protects skin)
- 2 oz Beeswax (The wax helps make it waterproof! More beeswax=thicker, less beeswax=smoother)
- 1 Tbsp Zinc Oxide (Make sure you DO NOT breathe this in! I recommend wearing a mask if necessary! If you add more Zinc Oxide, the SPF will be stronger and vise-versa. You can purchase it HERE or HERE just make sure its NON-NANO)
- 20 drops Carrot Seed essential oil (helps with sun protection)
- 15 drops Myrrh essential oil (helps with sunburn prevention)
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil (great for soothing skin)
***ONLY USE YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS!***
- 1 tsp. of Red Raspberry Seed Oil (high natural SPF)
- 1 tsp. Vitamin E oil (nourishes & moisturizes skin)
Directions: Using the double boiler method, combine coconut oil, shea butter & beeswax until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in zinc oxide powder. Once smooth with no clumps, add Young Living essential oils (and red raspberry seed oil/vitamin E if necessary). Quickly pour mixture into reusable squeeze tubes or a glass jar. Apply often and liberally to exposed skin. Reapply every 3-4 hours, or more if swimming or sweating.
Homemade Sunblock (Zinc Oxide Free):
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- 20 drops Carrot Seed
- 15 drops Myrrh
- 10 drops Lavender
Directions: Combine all ingredients and mix with a hand blender. Store in a glass jar and apply liberally and often.